Sunday, October 24, 2010

(In Everything) Dans Gratias

Pastor Wilson preached on Psalm 57 this morning, and once again I have been convicted and encouraged.

I want to better know how to give thanks. I want to know how to awaken my glory in praising God, and how to awaken the dawn of His mercy. How to see the shadows I am in as not only the cave of my trials but also as the covering of His care. How to give thanks in all things, not only when things are kind of going as I would prefer.

We'd really prefer life without trials. We'd rather not face pain, hunger, cold and loss; I'd rather not know what it feels like to have the stomach flu, get an exam back with red marks all over it, stub my toe on the doorjamb, or have a disagreement with someone that I can't resolve; I'd rather not have broken bones or broke dreams or a broken pocketbook. Knowing troubles isn't easy. It isn't pleasant.

But this is what I was born to, like every other human being on the face of the planet and like every spark that bursts from the wood in the fire. Our task is not to avoid all pain and problems in life, but to give thanks when they come to us, and to expect the coming of the dawn.

Can I give thanks for the good and the rough? Beautiful leaves, hot chai, and having to buy another tank of gas soon. Bread and wine, visit from friends, and being mostly uncertain about the future. Bacon breakfast, Kansas in the afternoon, and nightmares. Emails from little sisters, Taboo, and all those words I need to memorize for tomorrow's class. Finding my bag of winter clothes, keeping up on classes last week, and falling behind in sleep.

In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment